Monday, March 4, 2013

"Gotta Keep Your Head Up, OH!"


Hello! 


What a long day this has been. 

Today, I woke up around 8. The last TaLK  told me that the bus comes every two hours. (8:50, 10:50, etc.) I thought I was supposed to be here at 11, so I thought it better to be early than late. So, I rush into getting ready only to get at the bus stop at 8:46 and wait.. and wait.. and wait... (This waiting led to some interesting selfie videos. This is ultimately where I should thank my parents for instilling my patience. I could have easily freaked out. But instead, I was just really good at waiting on that stinking bus. Haha!)

 I waited until about 10:20 when a woman runs from the hair shop across the street. She looks at me and says, "Do you go to Napo Elementary? I was like, holy crap she knows! "YES! YES I DO! Do you know when my bus comes?" She responds with a nice, "Once an hour. I think you missed it." Yes, I know. I have in fact been there for an hour. So, I was even more dumbfounded than before. Haha. She lets me come into her hair shop and hands me a card where she has thankfully written where I need to go and her phone number in case I got lost. (Koreans are probably the nicest people on the planet.) She also hands me her business card in case she doesn't answer her cell. (See what I mean?!) 

That being said, I run back across the street and hail a cab. The man looks at the address and says, "Oh, so you missed the bus?" I just looked at him and tried not to laugh/cry. So, of course I nervously respond with: "Well, maybe. I stood out here for an hour and a half and it never came.." He just looked at me and we somehow started speaking in Korean. Well, he did. But I think it was magic because I almost understood everything he had said. It was crazy! He then pulls in, 14,000 won later to my school. Thank you Lord! Something semi-familiar. I hurry inside, exchange my shoes for slippers and am off to my classroom which is is so nice and is pictured! 







I enter my classroom, and look around for the ideal situation. My mentor teacher, and the old mentor teacher, David. Well, with my luck I walk into an empty, cold classroom. I sit for a good 10 minutes and I am then greeted by a few little Korean boys who warmly greet me with a giant, HELLO! and a polite wave. Three more girls come in, with the same HELLO! and an "It's nice to meet you!" They then begin to introduce themselves. My brain felt so overwhelmed by everything of the day that I couldn't get the names correct no matter how hard I tried. I insisted they write it down for me, so I could practice and I wrote my name in Korean, so they could see how it is pronounced. I think that they were very impressed that I can write Korean, so that was neat to see! 

The new mentor teacher, Mr. Lee, then walks into the classroom. I met Mr. Lee one day last week, but that feels like centuries ago so I am glad I could remember his name. He is very kind and just says, "Wow, you are very early." I then tried to explain the situation of the bus and all of that to him. Yeah, so much for that. I speak way too quickly and it is something I really am needing to work on. After I finish the "I am confused" speel, he looks at me and says, "Okay. Good!" He then asks where I am from and I proudly respond,. "USA, I am from Oklahoma." 

I think that is something that is so funny about living in another country. I miss my friends and family, of course. I really just entirely miss my state and my country. I am desperate for the time to be on American soil again. I just know when I am, I will feel so home. I am loving my time here, but nothing can ever make me love a place as much as I love the good US of A! 

Mr. Lee responds with a "Wow! You are really long way from home." He then leaves the classroom to take care of some students in the hallway. I sunk into a two minute long depression. I hate the fact that I do this every time someone mentions just how far away I am. It kills me inside to be constantly reminded how far I am from home and sometimes just how lonely I can feel here, even though I have a great friends living just minutes away. It's lonely sometimes, and it's always a little more evident when someone brings it to your attention. 

The next part, however, is something you will be proud of. I told myself to suck it up. Five months will go by and I will be home wondering where the time went. I had to repeat it a few times, sure. But I was able to work up the energy to become okay. I am forever proud of that. 

Mr. Lee came back in, and after sitting for a while he told me it was time for lunch. I was happy to hear this, because in all of the bus fiasco, I forgot to grab something to eat. At lunch, we had soup, rice, a root (I forget what it is called!) a pork cutlet, and a variance of kimchi that actually wasn't half bad. I was able to meet my Principal and Vice-Principal at lunch so that was nice. I also met the third grade teacher, Mr. Choi who is very nice as well. They all told me I was beautiful. (To my surprise, I have gotten that basically everywhere in Korea. I don't know if they are just being polite, or what but literally everywhere I go, I am told I am beautiful. I don't mind it one bit!) 

After lunch, we headed back to the classroom and I was told my students wouldn't be coming today. I am so exhausted, I was almost relieved to hear as much. I am hoping to have a much smoother day tomorrow, and then I can't wait to begin! I think I would have easily cracked under the pressure today. 

Well, sadly which is exactly what I did. 

When you are in a foreign country, I realize that the things I miss most are 1.) Family, 2.) Mid-Del Taco, and 3.) Familiarity. Anything familiar is exactly what I want. Sadly, I am no where in reach of familiarity at any given time. 

Cue, David. David used to be the mentor teacher for Napo and he is the one I have met with twice now. He has helped me with many things and he is the one who helped me settle into my apartment last week. He walks into my empty classroom and I immediately begin to tear up. IT'S DAVID!  Finally, something I knew that I know again! It's not that David is better or nicer than Mr. Lee, it's just that I finally had something that I knew. Something that made me feel comfortable. David and I begin talking and I honestly know that I cannot hold my tears in any longer. He takes one look at me, and knows I am about to lose it. He begins to coerce my fears and feelings before I can even ask for it. He just looks at me and says, "I think you are feeling very lonely. Even with your friends, maybe you feel lonely. I understand that you feel that way. But you need to enjoy your time and your travel." I just keep nodding my head, because I am fearful there is more to come. David kept talking to me. "I know, home is a far way. It is hard. But you will get better! You will see! You will get friends, and travel. Work is work, but enjoy your time here. I studied so hard in college and couldn't travel. You have a nice opportunity. Enjoy your time." David was so right. 

(This, I might add, is one of those times that you know all of the information someone has just given you. I know I am so blessed to have this opportunity, I know that I will love it here. I know all of these things. But sometimes  it just takes the right person to put it all into perspective.) I know am here for a purpose. No matter how hard this has been, or will be, I am so blessed to have this experience and David and his great familiarity helped me realize that today. 

David then talked to Mr. Lee for a long while. You know when you know that someone is talking about you, but you have no idea what they are saying? Yes, welcome to today. The saddest part was that after about 5 minutes, Mr. Lee (who I am pretty sure is no older that 24) looks at me and says, "Oh no, Kiyana! If you need me, you can call! You do not have to cry." I then started laughing, remembering the cultural differences. Of course David was telling Mr. Lee. He was probably telling him to put me on watch for flooding. (Probably not a bad idea.) We then all laughed and then I worked on more lesson planning, and headed home. 

What a day! I cannot really put all of my emotions into a gauge of today, because I would break it. I just have to remember to constantly keep my chin up, and always know that I have an entire side of the world out there, cheering me on. 

Here's to an awesome tomorrow! 


Kiyana in Korea





4 comments:

  1. Hello from UCO!!! I'm sorry you had a rought day, but look at all you learned! We're so proud of you and excited you have the chance to have this experience. Know that you are loved and prayed for daily! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from 2nd East, West Hall ;) I just accidentally found your blog from the link on UCO Korean office. I'm Jeong Min Lee, who's still living in West Hall. I've never been to Gunsan although I lived only in Korea until I came to the US last year. It's so interesting to read your posts. Take care and enjoy your days in Korea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kisses from Oklahoma my darling! Love witnessing your growth through your blog! Mwuah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catching up on your blog at work. Thanks Kiyana, I'm sitting at my desk bawling. There will definitely be good days and bad days (you're on an emotional roller coaster). David couldn't have said it better. Have fun while your there, skype or call when you get lonely and s soon as you get home we are going to Mid-Del taco. A taco dog sounds good about now. Love you bunches. Amy

    ReplyDelete