Friday, March 1, 2013

"Gunsan Loving, Happened So Fast"


I know, I know. Girl, make up your mind already. You love it there, or you hate it there. 

I think it is safe to say, I am adjusting to my new life as well as I expected. Tears, then happiness and excitement, and then spurts of sadness when I start to think too much. It has been quite the transition and although I may not always say it or think it, I am so glad to have this experience.

Last time I left off at seeing my friends at the giant seven story LotteMart near my place. Running into their arms? Yeah, sounds about right. After that, Kyla came and stayed the night. Thursday morning, we got up, and went to her place, a short cab ride away. She was able to call her mom and Skype for a bit before her mentor teacher came and picked her up. *DISCLAIMER* Mentor Teacher: Basically, your boss. Usually an English speaking teacher at your school assigned to help you adjust to your life in Korea. Helps you understand how to pay your bills, take out the trash, get to school, etc. Basically your go-to guy for any and all questions. 

But just before she came to get us, a miracle happened.


In Korea, they don't really have cold deli sandwiches. Like, no turkey lunch meat for regular bread. And cheese? Forget about it. Milking cows aren't super popular here so all cheese is imported. Making it a pretty penny. This however, was a miracle above all miracles. WE FOUND A SUBWAY! Pretty sure I had to rub my eyes and do a double take to make sure I was seeing correctly. I was, and yes, it was heaven. 




We got with her mentor teacher, and went to set up Kyla's bank account and cell phone. Lucky Kyla! (Most of us won't be able to get cell phones until we acquire our Alien Registration Cards. It will be about another three weeks until our application goes through.)

The best part of this story, however, takes place at the bank just a few hours before. 

If you know me, you know I am very keen on making new friends anywhere I go. Especially here. The people of South Korea LOVE English! They, for the most part, want all of the practice they can get. I am sitting in the bank, and I turn around and see this beautiful lady sitting beside me, literally staring at the back of my head. 


So, what's the best thing to do when you say hello and all you hear is Korean coming back at you? You bust out your phone, and show off your new baby cousin in the family. Sweet Marlee, being shown off, loved, and enjoyed all around the world! 

What do you do after that? You go and buy your new friend a water. It was a rip-roaring 65 degrees in Korea Wednesday. Beautiful, right? This poor woman was in a fur hat and coat. I figured she'd get hot. I come back with her water and offer it to her with both hands. Why is it important to include that detail? Well, it is our Korea culture fact of the day! *Cue Cheesy Music* In Korea, being respectful, especially to your elders, is everything. So one good sign of respect is giving and receiving things with both hands. It shows you respect that person. It's just like saying "Yes, sir" or "no, ma'am" in the states. Just the polite thing to do. As much as Korean people love English, they love their culture. The little woman was incredibly amazed by what I did and she sat down beside me after she was done at the teller and held my hand. Incredible kick start to a new day. Then, she began petting my back. Lower and lower, basically until she was at the waist of my jeans and then, BAM! Out of no where, her hand is awkwardly touching a little hiney. I squeal and state ah-ney-yo! ah-ney-yo! Or "NO! NO!" in Korean. 

I know what you are thinking! Creepy old lady! But in all honesty, it's something you deal with here. Many times, you will run into older Koreans who have never seen or heard a foreigner before. It almost seems like you aren't real to them until they touch you. So, she was just seeing what it was, well, what I was I guess. Could have been much much worse though. I have heard stories of licking, biting, kissing, and other body part grabbing by members of the opposite sex that could have made my new friend a serious.. well, not friend. Always an important lesson to remember. Not everyone is always used to you all the time. Learned that one the hard way. Haha! 

After that, we went back to Kyla's and I put my big girl pants on. For sure, I was certain, I could be a big girl tonight and stay at my new place. 

Cue Laura. Luckily, when I got home, Laura messaged me. She had been at her school all day doing nothing. She wanted some friend time and some fun! So what do we do? Watch The Bachelor of course! Lucky me! Another friend to stay over! We stayed up, watched The Bachelor and went to bed. 

We started a new day today, when we met Emilee at her place! Luckily, she's only about a 15 minute cab ride, just south of us by Gunsan University! We went to her side of town where Virgina, Lizzie, and Emilee live and got to see their places! So cute! We then went and grabbed lunch and just like that, the gang was all here! Minus one important friend, Brittney, who we are hoping to reunite with this weekend! 


We then hit up Baskin Robbins. I don't think any of us minded the 30 degree weather. Ice Cream is Ice Cream and it is always good. 



After that, we decided we wanted to go see a movie! What a process. We decided the best move would be to simply go to a theatre and ask for a movie in English. Knowing that LotteCinema carries English movies, we went there and bought tickets for the first movie we saw, Jack the Giant Slayer. I actually think it is out right now in America. Good tip? It's AWESOME! You're welcome. We had such a great time at the theater. We also got the best news ever. On March 28th, while you are enjoying your almost Easter, and all that jazz, I will be enjoying Pitch Perfect in theaters! Just like I did seven times in America! If you have seen Pitch Perfect, you know this is great news. It will be like seeing it all brand new! I can't wait! Here are some photos from the cinema! 






It was awesome! What a great day with great friends! Go out, do something today! Heck, go see that movie! It was great! 

More updates, and an apartment tour coming soon! Can't wait to show you around my new place! (Haha, for some who have already seen it!) 


Happy Friday! 



Kiyana in Korea


1 comment:

  1. There are Subway, Quiznos, and other local places selling cold deli subs in Seoul, but yes, it may be hard to find in Gunsan. But I'm impressed there is Subway there! I'm a Korean but have never known!!!
    - Jeong Min Lee

    ReplyDelete