Tuesday, March 12, 2013


"Korea Style"


Hello my friends!

Today is Tuesday, March 12, 2013 in Gunsan, South Korea.


That means a regular school day. FINALLY!

After having such a rough time last week, I was curious to see if I would ever feel normal here. If I could ever feel like I could call South Korea, "home".

I can gladly say that after a really rough week last week, I can say YES! I am so happy to be living, and more importantly teaching in South Korea for the rest of the semester.

I know what you are thinking. This girl is insane. First she's happy to be there, next she just wants to come home. Now she is back to wanting to stay?

That, my friends, is where you all come into play. It's no secret to many that I had a very rough time last week. I just couldn't picture life here. Moreso, I couldn't picture you guys living your lives without me. If you know me, you know I despise missing out on a good time with my friends and family. I felt as thought the next five months would go by, and I would miss out on so much. Funny thing is, I don't know that much will change at home over the course of the next four and a half months. Even if it does, it is probably no comparison to how much I am learning here. Not only about the country and it's people but about myself as well. I know this experience will be completely life-altering. I find that I need to sit back, and let it.

Okay, now that all the mushy stuff has been said, let's get to the reason I am here, to teach!!
I have not really shared too many details about my classroom. I think in my fear of change, I also had the fear of maybe getting too attached to these little ones and not wanting to leave them behind. I am glad to say, I have definitely left that fear behind and not only am I in love with all of my students but I am finding that I think my fellow teachers at Napo might become my life-long friends.

Today started out just like any other... Well, that's a lie. It didn't. I definitely was across the street when I saw my bus pull up and leave without me on it.


I know, I know. "Oh my gosh! She probably freaked out and started crying! That poor girl!"
I can gladly say that you are safe to assume that. I think if I was still in my funk of last week, that is almost exactly how I would have handled the situation. Instead, however, I simply began to laugh. (Now you really are thinking, this crazy girl! But I can assure you, that's just so me. I have never been the one to freak out if a situation goes off the plan. I am always the one to say, "Well, that didn't work. What's my new plan?" Well folks, that's exactly what I did today. I chuckled for a moment thinking how in the heck am I going to get to school? Then, like any happy girl would, I ran into a 7-11, bought a Coke Zero and looked at my options. Aren't you so proud?)

My options included a taxi driver. Whenever I miss the bus, my next plan is to take a taxi to school. Luckily, I live right by a giant street where taxis zoom by every fifteen seconds.
About 20 minutes and 14,000 won later, I get out and walk into Napo. Of course, this place has begun to feel like home. I love Napo Elementary!

I walk in, put on my slippers and head up to the English Classroom. (Pictures of my room were posted on last Monday's blog!)

I sit at my desk, and begin to work on my lesson planning. Lucky for me, it's almost lunch time.

At lunch, my mentor teacher, Mr. Lee and I sit with the First Grade Class at Napo and David, who was the mentor teacher last year. After we sit, all of the other teachers come in and sit right by us! As much as I love my students at Napo, my teachers really put it on top. They are all so considerate and kind. No matter what, my teachers always ask me how I am doing, how my evening was, etc. It is such a warm and welcoming place to be.


This is when "Korea Style" comes into play. The teachers at Napo are always wanting to know more about me, what I think about them, and what I know. It is so great! Today at lunch, we had a spicy noodle dish, tofu, and a few other things. I began to eat all of my lunch and after I was finished my teachers just stared at me. I was confused.. Did I eat too quickly? Did I break a Korean cultural norm? They all just looked and said, "Kiyana, you can eat that? Is it not spicy?" I just kind of sat there. I mean, I guess so. But it was also just really really good food. They all began to laugh and say, "Kiyana you are not America style, you are Korea style!"


What a compliment! I have heard them say this once, but hearing it again was so cool! It doesn't mean that I am not an American, obviously, To me, I think they are just saying that I can fit in here! That even though I am an American, they know I can do whatever they do as well. (There is not much to make me feel cooler than knowing that!)

After lunch, and my exciting new titl Mr. Lee and I head back up to the classroom where I prepare more lessons for my 1-2 Graders that will come in at 1:50.

*PAUSE FOR EXPLANATION*
Many people who read my blog are probably very confused on what exactly I am doing in Korea. Well, I am here to proudly tell you that I am a part of a program called TaLK or Teach and Learn in Korea. TaLK is a program desgned for college students who want to experience life in another country. (This is me!) Basically, about 10 years ago, the Korean Government decided that they wanted every student to know English. They want to be viewed as a world power (which they totally are) and they knew that the English language was the best way to get there. That's where I come into play. TaLK has been a program for about five years now. They take students and place them in cities all over Korea. The students are then placed in rural elementary schools across the country to teach English to students. (Also, to make English seem interesting.) English is actually built into the curiculum here. My job is to be an English speaker in the classroom so the kids can better grab what exactly the native English speaker sounds like. Yes, I do teach them everyday. However, my presence is more to build their interest in the language. To be honest, Korean kids are all going to know English. They have to. I am here to create a good atmosphere and an interest in learning. If you have any questions about the TaLK program, or how to get involved in such a program, please let me know! I would love to help!

Okay, back to the story.
So my first grade class walks in. Immediately, David asks if he can take a photo for his classroom website. Of course I say yes, only if I can take one as well! Look! Aren't we so cute?!


First and Second grade is combined, and today we reviewed the Alphabet, played the Alphabet game and then reviewed colors. Here, curriculum English begins in the third grade. Therefore, for younger grades we do A LOT of singing and coloring. This is good for the young ones, and it gives me some breathing room!

After they left, I had free time to work on my lesson for fourth grade. We are reviewing months of the year, and today we will begin to work on the seasons. 

However, before I got too deep into the planning, Mr. Lee came into the office I work in and asked if I had a moment. I told him yes and he led me down to the Teacher's Room where awaiting me was something I have yet to see in Korea.. CAKE! Please, hold your excitement!

The cake was "dalk cake". The cake was a Korean traditional cake made from rice and sweet bean paste. (Don't judge too quickly! It was delicious!) Here is a photo!




After cake, I headed back upstairs to teach my favorite class, third and fourth grade! (I love all of my students, but third and fourth grade have definitely had an  incredible impression!) We had reviewed Days of the Week and Months of the Year, so as any teacher would, I figured we should move onto the next step of a year, the seasons! (For third and fourth grade, the goal is to teach them how to tell the date by the end of the month. I know, I sound like such a teacher! Haha!)

I walked into class expecting my usual 12-15 students. Well, as everyone says in Korea, never have an expectation.

I walk into my classroom and find two little guys sitting at my table.

Immediately, I panic. What in the world am I going to do with just two little ones? I calmly sit down, and think for a brief moment. We begin to go over the seasons with a small video, and then I begin to review the months. As we are going into seasons, the goal is to get the kids to putting the months into the seasons. (WINTER: December, Janruary, February, etc.)
All of the sudden, a little thing I like to refer to as "teacher magic" came out of nowhere. I would like to explain this as an experience when basically, I have no idea what my next step is, but luckily my brain kicks in and does all of the work. Sometimes, it just acts like it knows what is going on, even if I really have no idea. We began to play a game where we drew the seasons, and then after collecting all of the pictures, I made the kids play each other in a game I am now calling, "Guess the Picture". Basically, I would hold up a picture and the first one to say what the picture was got the point. They loved it! They kept saying, "teacher fun! Fun teacher, fun!" In that moment, I was beyond excited. They thought I was a fun teacher! It was one of those moments that are the little things that make you feel so successful.


After school, I went to meet Kyla at the grocery store (yes, the seven story LotteMart) where we did some grocery shopping. I do not get paid until the 25th of this month, so I figured I should try and buy some groceries instead of eating out every meal. I bought fruit, 삼겹살 (samgypsal, or pork) and bean sprouts. I got home and I got on Skype and was talking away. I was hungry, so I decided to try and multi-task and make dinner at the same time. Low and behold, I definitely forgot the fact that everything in Korea cooks in 22 seconds. I put the meat on, and when I turned back around my apartment was FILLED with smoke! I immediately opened all of the windows and just began laughing. Another one of those things that will just take some time getting used to.  


Now, I am hanging out in my one room which still smells like Korean char watching Grey's Anatomy. 

It's a good day in Korea, and hopefully all over the world.

I can happily say that while I was afraid my time in Korea would feel like forever, it is passing so quickly day to day. Once I got over all of the junk, and realized that this is a great opportunity to learn more than I could ever imagine. 


I am so blessed, and so thankful for the opportunity to be here and I wouldn't change a thing about my experience so far! 


Stay tuned, because as always there is more fun to be had here. 


Kiyana in Korea  

2 comments:

  1. Well Kiyana
    my mom loved that stuff its a bit to sweet for me but it looks good . yummmy !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your sweet success with being a fun teacher made me cry!! :-) In a good way!

    ReplyDelete