Sunday, March 3, 2013

"Weekend Warriors" 

What an incredible first weekend in Gunsan!

We started the weekend off by spending Friday night at the cinema! What a perfect way to welcome me into any city! 

Saturday morning, I got up, and ventured to do the most big girl thing I could think of at the time.. GROCERY SHOP! Luckily, I live literally right down the road from the biggest monster of a grocery store you have ever seen. Ever seen a seven foot grocery store? Prepare yourself, because it is really that great... 

These photos were just taken tonight, so no, it isn't dark here on Saturday morning. Haha. 



Yep. That's it. I am basically doing a back bend on my street so I can get it all in the frame. HUGE, right? 


LotteMart has everything you might need in Korea, making it double the awesome. 

After that, I came back to my own place and a few hours later, walked to Laura's. We were making a new friend, Anthony, today! Anthony is a 9th gen who recently extended his contract to cover another year in Korea. (This alone assures me that I will love it here! Most people will extend their contracts after the six months is up.)

We then headed to Kyla's place which low and behold is a mere 45 minute walk! I think we will find a shorter way once we know our area better. However, on Saturday that was definitely the quickest way. We ran into a Farmer's Market type area, and the cutest little pooch I have ever seen! 


 

We then made it to Kyla's and met everyone else at Dunkin Donuts. aka: The Holy Land of Korea. We talked to our new friend Anthony and asked him any and every question we had! Poor guy, we replace all of his friends and then talk him to death. Haha! 

We then moved onto walking around. We finally realized just how cold it was and ended up at a wonderful Korean BBQ place where I... wait for it... tried a bug! YUM! 

Just kidding. I am not that crazy yet. It tasted, well, like a bug. Not my favorite Korean dish, but much better than those blueberry ice cream oreo's! (I can't believe I am saying that.) 


Here we are! Picking it out! 

건배!
(Cheers in Korean!) 

Here goes nothing! 

Oh gosh! That's awful! 
Why did we do that?!

Yep. That's definitely how that went. We also enjoyed Pig Liver Soup! I didn't eat the liver, but the soup was incredible! (No worries, the liver is easily avoidable!)



After that, we headed back home to an early bedtime! It was glorious! 

Today is Sunday. For the most part, I just relaxed, did some laundry, and enjoyed some well-spent time Skyping friends and family! What a great way to begin my week! 

We then all met together to work on lesson planning at a cute little cafe, Bel La Beans. 


We worked on lesson plans for a few hours until we were hungry and then enjoyed some delicious Korean food at a cheap restuaraunt up the road! Such a neat place. I think it is comparable to an American diner. Here's the menu! Delicious and cheap! Two of my favorite things! 


I am now sitting in my room, eagerly anticipating my first week at school. Will the kids like me? Will the teachers want to be my friend? What will we eat for lunch? What do I do if I miss my bus? 

All of these questions, and more will hopefully be answered tomorrow in my first day at school! (Well, hopefully everything but the bus question!) I cannot wait to meet all of my students and to see what the next five months will have for me as a teacher! 


Hold out for tomorrow you guys! I have a nervous feeling it will be great! 




Kiyana In Korea


No comments:

Post a Comment