Friday, February 1, 2013

What to Expect When You're Expecting

What to Expect When You're Expecting... a big move to the other side of the world. 


Hello! My name is Kiyana Baird and for those of you who don't know me, I am a college student from Oklahoma (United States) who is currently living and teaching in Jeonbuk, South Korea. I'll begin my blog with a little bit of my story, and what really lead me to today, the day before I move to the other side of the world. 

This whole party started in August 2012 when I was browsing on my college website for the College of Education. I had just decided to become a student majoring in Early Childhood Education and I was browsing as a part of a classroom assignment. I have always been interested in traveling, so when I saw the link for study tours I was immediately sucked in. I clicked on a few links and was directed to the South Korea: 2013 link. I was immediately swept up in the details of the trip and the information given. I also saw a very upsetting link stating that all of the applications were due in May 2012. A few months too late....

However, I could tell that inside there was something telling me otherwise. 

I went ahead and emailed the professor to contact, a professor at my university, I sent her a well thought email about how I understood the deadline for Korea was over but to please keep me in mind for future trips. Thinking that I would hardly get a response, two minutes later I received an email in my inbox. It was my professor with a simple: 

"I actually have room for two more. Would you like to go?"

My simple response?

"Yes. What should I do?"

That response alone I feel will hold the greatest adventure of my life. It took me from, "I wonder what I will be doing next summer?" To "What in the world am I doing now?" After many details, and a day later I found myself walking into Elementary Korean I and meeting some of my new friends and my companions through this adventure. 

Now, it's February 1st, 2013 and my plane will be leaving in roughly 30 hours. I cannot believe this day is here! I feel like I have been doing some much paperwork, planning so many lessons, and waiting so long. 
Over the past few weeks, I have celebrated going away parties, perhaps the best surprise party ever, I have celebrated Easter, St. Patrick's Day, Fourth of July, my birthday, and my favorite holiday, Valentine's Day! 

I am so beyond blessed to have this opportunity and even more than that, beyond blessed to have incredible family and friends that have been so supportive of my journey to this point. 


I definitely cannot wait to share my journey with you! If you have any questions for me, you can leave a comment or contact me by email! 


Thank you so much for reading! I'll see you in the Eastern Hemisphere! 




Kiyana In Korea

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an Elementary Education major! I had no idea any program like this even existed at UCO. Can't wait to see the rest of your journey! How exciting. I would LOVE to do something like this in the next few years. -Chelsea B.

    ReplyDelete