Saturday, February 23, 2013

"I Go Back"

Hello! Happy Sunday to those reading! Today is Sunday to me, it's about 2:00 p.m. and I am at Jeonju University. 

Yesterday was spent exploring. I'll start from the beginning and go from there! 

Yesterday morning, my wonderful roommate, Laura, and I got up a little bit early, eager to see our new place! We walked to the closest Paris Baguette (which, luckily for us is less than a block away!) and grabbed some coffee. We then began our little walk around this side of the city. It is simply incredible! Jeonju is such a nice little place. After our coffee grab, we saw a few people out playing soccer. Just wanting to see the life here, we went and watched for a few minutes. Playing, were about 30 Korean boys, all dressed in their sweats and shorts. We just sat there for a few minutes watching, and I remembered something we learned in orientation. "This country isn't here to make you comfortable. It is here to make it's people comfortable in their everyday lives." It hit me then. Not that I was uncomfortable in that scenario, but I realized we are here, in Korea to experience the culture and to experience life here. No matter what, people live here. Just like any small town I experience in Oklahoma, Korea isn't here to entertain me. In that moment, I felt so cool. I was experiencing another life. 

This may not make much sense to you, but for me, it was an extremely humbling experience. I was always thinking it would be so much different here and in some cases it is. However, for the most part, it is just life. The people here are going to school, paying bills, have families, and take care of one another. Luckily, I get to be a part of that. I hope that this makes sense to you, and I hope whenever you encounter someone who might do things a little bit differently, I hope you remember that to you, it is strange but to them, it is home. It is how they live. You will be amazed by what you experience when you can just remember that. 

After our outing, we came back to find all of our friends ready for a new adventure, Jeonju! We began to walk, just so we can see what all there is here. First thing I noticed? This place is HUGE! I looked out my window before I left, and noticed that I couldn't see the end of it. Of course, it's always an awesome view here because no matter which way you look, you see mountains in the distance. It's awesome. 

We started off our walk in a smaller part of town. The funny thing about Korea is that everything is so Westernized, I sometimes forget I am in a different place at all. Here are some shots of the street and the things we saw! 

See? Looks like home! 

There are no dryer's for your laundry in Korea. 
They hang their clothes on a rack and usually they leave them outside. 
How cool is that?

We walked for a few more blocks, and look what we found! A PLAYGROUND! I don't think even Korean kids get as excited as we were when we found this little treasure. 




This was awesome. It was the playground rules, 
with a chair so you 
can sit while you watch your kids play. 
They think of everything here! Haha! 

After getting some energy out playing, we continued to walk and ran into a coffee shop where we tried nabbed some hot chocolate. (By the way, if you don't know, I think Korea makes the best hot chocolate of all time. It's kind of silly how good it is.) We ran into some Korean men there. The best part, I think, about Korea is that if you have a question here, you just ask it. There are of course some limits, but if people are curious, they just ask. We sat and had a chat with our new friends before we kept walking. We then found a dog park, and made some new friends with the pooches there too. SO FUN! After that, we headed across a large bridge in Korea. We happened to be taking a photo and saw something that really caught our eye. A work-out area, down by the river. 


It was awesome. Koreans love their physical appearance. Everywhere you go, they are looking in mirrors, fixing their hair or make-up or the way they look. So seeing this, just made my day. 

We kept walking, (yeah still. I think we walked at least four miles yesterday!) We then found ourselves in a new part of the city, where we grabbed some street food, met some Korean missionaries, bought doughnuts, and just enjoyed our time! 





Korean Hospital! 

The funny thing about this picture is the ad! 
The man on top of the building appears to be running but it makes you fearful when you first see it! 

McDonald's and their delivery scooters. 
SO FUNNY! 

Walking through the street market! 
Probably the world's greatest invention. 
Coke on the bottom, chicken on the top. 
WOW! 

We then were lucky enough to find some more work-out equipment! This time, in a park. We definitely made time to stop and play! 




After a very long day of walking. Justin and Virginia were able to get us back to Jeonju Uni on my first Korean bus ride! I am lucky to have such knowledgeable friends while I am here!

We headed into dinner and then were able to end our day with a night out (and for Justin's first  가라오케 experience!) We had an awesome time. 



What a great first day in Jeonju! As today moves on, I think we all just need a day off. We are taking today to relax, and just hang out. 

Sitting here, it's about 3:00 p.m. and I am looking out my window. It's an incredible view, of my new home. 



The city just keeps going, as far as I can see. I can safely say, I definitely love it here! 

Remember that today, no matter where you are, others are living just like you somewhere else. Nothing is more humbling than that. 




Kiyana In Korea










2 comments: