Friday, February 15, 2013

"Hello, Goodbye"

You may be worried and/or slightly confused by my blog title today. However, don't be! It's only because I am going to Seoul tomorrow! YAY! 

I cannot wait to go to the second largest city in the world tomorrow. With over 20 million people, and 255 neighborhoods my friends and I are BOUND to have a wonderful time in South Korea's capitol city! I cannot wait to see (and tell you all about) all of the fun we have! 

Now, for today. Today was our second to last lecture day. *Hallelujah Chorus Begins*

However, today was such a special day in lectures. It hit me today, that in a few short weeks I will begin on my trek of changing lives. I don't say that to sound cheesy, nor for a "look at me" mindset. I say that because with the culture here, our jobs as teachers are so important. Today, one of our lecturers said something truly remarkable. He said, "It doesn't matter if you teach these kids a single word in English. They have curriculum for that. What really matters is the question of inspiration. Did you inspire someone to learn a new language? They will learn no matter if you are here or not here. The question is do they love it, and did you show them how to?"

 WOW! What an inspiring message. He was so correct. Korean children begin taking English as a required curriculum in the third grade. They take national tests to check for accuracy. Korean culture follows a "one-shot society". This means if they don't pass just that one test, they will not have the ability to get into a university. They emphasize so much on testing here that it almost hurts the students to not be at school 10 hours a day like they are. (Between curriculum, after school English, and talent lessons.) The students here are incredible. They don't need us but I am so glad for the opportunity to be here and to love on and support them. (While possibly throwing in a few vocab words, haha!) 

We finished off the day with some fish cakes, rice, salad, fried and candied squid for dinner... Well, then we called in good old Domino's to save the day! 


Goodnight all! Talk to you on Sunday when I can share my Seoul adventures! 




Kiyana In Korea

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post! I feel inspired too and their dedication to education is admirable! We have so much to learn and you are helping me do just that!

    ReplyDelete