Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Closer to Love" 

What a nice, few days we have had here in Jeonju! Best news ever though? Tomorrow (Wednesday) I get to move to my new semi-permanent home! (Well, for the next five months, anyway!) 

The past few days have been exciting! Sunday was a nice day to just hang out, and relax. Monday, we got the ball rolling with some really great and helpful lectures. I learned so many things about living in Joellabuk-do that will definitely help ease the process of being here full-time! We had a great time in lectures, and then out to eat with friends! 

Here was our chef for the night. 


We ate a chicken dish, (sorry, I definitely forgot the name) that is stir-fried with cabbage, garlic, and red pepper paste in the area of Bukdae. Bukdae is a  famous shopping and dining district in Jeonju. 

Here I am in Bukdae! 


After enjoying some delicious food, we then headed in early to get a good night of rest before our Cultural Trip to Hanok Village Tuesday afternoon. 

YAY for Hanok! We started off our trip by entering a pottery shop. We were then able to make our own pottery pieces. Knowing that my sister's birthday is next month, I decided to make her a heart shaped bowl. (I know, I am the best sister ever!) However, when I took my bowl to have the sealant put on it, the man re-rolled my clay and re-created my bowl. I was in shock, and I was laughing so hard. It was quite the interesting time. So, of course after he seals it, I write "A Kiyana Original" on the side. Sadly, it can't be Kiyra's birthday gift. However, I can put it on my bookshelf when I get home and enjoy the memories it brings! Here are some photos from the village entrance as well as the pottery place. 




Thankfully, lunch was our very next stop! Well, thankfully they had rice at lunch. Today, we had an authentic Korean meal, 반찬. This is a meal made completely of side dishes. The side dishes we had today varied from rice and noodles, to potato pancakes, eggs, seaweed, and bony fish. An interesting meal for an interesting day of Korean culture! 


My friend Justin got a little bit sleepy today. Great for a lunch time photo op! 


We then moved into our next cultural activity, herbal bags. This process was quite interesting, and quite potent. We went through a lesson on the herbs and what each was useful for as it works with the human body. Here are some photos of the process! 






We then moved to herbal tea which was... well, not the most appetizing thing on the planet... but still SO Korean! 



We then moved into a separate part of the same area. We were told we would be read on our personality and be told the type of person we were. "Cool!" I thought. "Like a palm reading!" I thought. WRONG, I was... I was expecting something cool because, well, we were in a cool village. What I got was a row of computers asking me questions like how big my head was, and if I felt it was proportionality appropriate to my body. Not so cool after all. I wish I was kidding you, but here is the screen of the big head question. I clicked no, but the question definitely made me think twice...


After the creepy computer questions, I moved on to get a foot bath. "Cool!" I thought. "Like a pedicure!" I thought. WRONG AGAIN, I was. It was like the medspa's people own in their homes. Mine was broken so I ended up playing musical medspa's for a few rounds. Definitely quite the experience. Here are my friends, happy with their medspa. There I am, sad because all the water drained out! (It's okay though! I got a new one right after! YAY MedSpa!) 



We then were allowed free time until we left the village. Laura and I decided to head to a Palace located right in Hanok, Gyeinggijeon Palace! What an incredible place! 







Sometimes, Korea just seems so Westernized, it is hard to remember why I came here in the first place. Today I was reminded. I am here to Teach, of course. Teach to a nation hungry for a language I take for granted everyday. Also, though, I am here to learn. I am here to learn Korean history and experience the art of being in a new place. Being at the Palace today, and getting to experience that history was an important reminder of who I am and what I want to accomplish while being here. 

I am so blessed and thankful to be here. Today was just another reminder of that. I am hoping to be continuously reminded of that throughout my time here. That is what will truly bring me closer to love. 

Stay tuned! Tomorrow is a big day! My move to Gunsan and my Korean Apartment! YES! 




Kiyana In Korea









No comments:

Post a Comment