Thursday, February 14, 2013

"I Believe in a Thing Called Love"

Finally! The long awaited Valentine's Day has come! 

Today was SUCH a great day, and I loved that I was able to spend it with some incredible people! 

We started off the day in the normal way with our 8:40 briefing meetings. Today, however was a little bit different because we were given Valentine's CandyGrams that people could purchase throughout the week! Emilee and I both got four (because we are so SO blessed to have the world's sweetest friends here). 



Best comment I received  "You are cuter than an Asian baby." How sweet is that? Love my Laura Ya! 

We then went through the motions of a regular day and then got to lunch! The sweet chef made a cute sign and handed all 211 of us our own candy bag with a "Happy Balentine's Day" (In the Korean alphabet, there is nothing to represent the 'V' sound. Therefore, things you would usually hear with a 'V' in English-speaking countries is often said with a 'B' here.) The sign was so cute, as are the majority of things here. Haha! 


After lunch, we headed to the happiest lecture yet! Magic in the Classroom. Nope, not just a cheesy title about education. We literally got to watch a guy do magic tricks for two hours. It was awesome! 

He then turned the flame into a rose. Sadly, I didn't
learn this trick today. Haha! 

We then moved onto another lecture and finally, we hit freedom! Last lecture of the day means dinner, which I am always so excited for! Dinner today was sweet and sour chicken, rice, egg drop soup, and pineapple! Also, a nice little surprise for all the single ladies, 

짜장면 or, Black Bean Noodle. 


Black Bean Noodle sounds depressing, and I am here with a Korean culture lesson to tell you why! There are three holiday versions of the typical, Valentine's Day in Korea:
1.) Valentine's Day: Girl Buys Boy Present
2.)White Day: Boy Buys Girl Present
3.) Black Day: All of the singles in Korea get together and eat only black foods. The hope for this day is to find a date so you do not have to celebrate Black Day alone ever again. Happy, right? 

Basically, I ate noodles today telling everyone of my current relationship status. So, you know, just in case there are any men out there wondering. Here is a photo! Black Bean Noodle! 


Here is a photo of my WONDERFUL Valentine's Day dates! 


After dinner, we headed to downtown Jochiwon for a night out at A Twosome Cafe! A Twosome Cafe is a cute little dessert cafe we noticed the very first day here! So glad we were able to get off campus for a while! Here are some photos of the cafe! 










Such a sweet evening! (Literally. It was the best 'sweet' foods I have had here!) 

We finished the night off with a walk around Jochiwon. It is such a quaint little place with a little bit of the hustle of bustle of a bigger city. Such a fun place to be! 


Trendy Cafe we spotted while walking down the street.

See what I mean when I talk about the driving? 
People just park wherever! It's awesome! 
This man is literally on the sidewalk. Haha! 

A business room...
Let's just say we didn't knock on the door. 

Me and the city! A new favorite 
for sure. 



I am now in my dorm, running out of numbers while trying to count my blessings. Words cannot express how special it is to know how much support and love I am encountering from every end of the Earth today. 

That's all for now! So glad I could share my Valentine's Day with you all!
Happy Valentine's Day to you, wherever you are! 





Go out, and make someone feel so loved today! 



Kiyana In Korea







1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing you on Skype on VDay! Made my day sweetie!

    ReplyDelete