Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Adult Education 

What a great day we had today! We started off the day in a good way when I went downstairs to Lizzie and Brittney's room and realized, Lizzie and I were wearing matching outfits. Like, exact matching. How cute are we? 


We then went ahead and went to class where we learned we would be in pairs today for our Practicum II. Basically, four people from the class would be picked to teach in a real-life Korean Elementary School. My pair? Well, when the pairs were posted, I wasn't on any of the lists. Awkard? Yeah, kind of. But luckily there was another girl they forgot about, Alice! Knowing we basically weren't even in the running, Alice and I quickly made a lesson plan and then just talked for the rest of the time given to make our lesson plan. 

Alice is a 22 year old from San Francisco. She is pretty much living the life I have always wanted to live. She has lived in Hawaii, Germany, and Japan on military bases taking care of kids aged 0-5 while they're parents are on-duty or while they are doing tours. Outside of that, she has traveled through most of Europe, she has been to Peru, she backpacked through Taiwan, I think, the week before this and she will go to Thailand for a month after she leaves TaLK. 

I know. Incredible, right? This is the kind of life I strive for. She spends time at home but she also isn't afraid to go out, to see the world, and to experience what so many places have to offer. She uses what she has and what she can to get where she wants to go. (She also wants to live in Boston, like me, even though she has never been there either, haha.) 

So after I met my new friend, Alice it was early lunchtime because of the transportation to the schools. We quickly ate, and we were on our way to  Yangdae Elementary in Chonan. 

We were quickly, and warmly, greeted by some of the students here. Of course, if you know me at all, it is safe to assume and know that it was automatic love. Here is the school and some of the kids greeting our coordinator, Neil. 



Yes, they are rubbing his bald head. Haha! 

We then walked into the front door and were immediately asked to change out our shoes for slippers. This is quite common culture in Korea. I have taken off my shoes many times here in public places. 
Here are my feet! The slippers were not very comfy, but I hear they are different everywhere! 

This is where visitors and students alike, put their shoes when the walk in! 

Neat, huh? We then went ahead and walked up to the classroom where my great friend, Emilee was picked to teach Lower Level students! YAY Emilee! Here she is preparing for her lesson over family. 


We then had a nice visitor while waiting for students to come into the classroom. She wanted to come in so bad and just look at us! It was so cute! 


The students finally entered and Emilee and her partner, Andrew (in the above photo) did a remarkable job on their lesson over family. The children in Korea are so smart. I think this is where Adult Education has come into play. We had many questions before the Practicum began. "How much English do they know?" "What is their skill level?" To be honest, within the first three minutes of the lesson these questions answered themselves. These children are BRILLIANT! They were just second graders and they can read English at a pretty nice level. They could also explain, in English, most of the pieces of a generic family. (Dad, Mom, Brother, Sister, Dog, etc.) I think we all felt as though we had been educated today. I know the experience showed me to set the bar high, but to still be positive and encouraging. The kids here, and in fact, kids all over love that the most. 

Here are some more fun photos of the kids and of the lesson Andrew and Emilee presented. 






These are two of the kids in the class. They were incredible artists and they did a great job on their "Family Portraits". 

An older class was then taught a lesson about time. This is also when my education comes into play. They knew everything the two other presenters had for them. Definitely a bummer, but these girls held their heads high and kept teaching a new system so hopefully it stuck with the kids. They keep telling us that in Korea, everything is subject to change. That was especially true in this lesson, but the girls did so great! Here are some photos of their lesson: 


The kids were trying to make a time with their bodies. It was hilarious! 

We then got to take a tour of the rest of the school. What a cool place! 

Of course, we headed to my favorite place in any school first, the library! As you might be able to see, they also go by the Dewey Decimal System here. I think that is so interesting. It's a universal system that truly is universal. They also had many American stories translated (i.e. ET on the photo). Of course, the reading section was a small table on the floor. Another cultural trait! 




We then moved into your typical fifth grade classroom. It's so interesting to me. They love pop culture here. For example, the pop art you see (at the bottom of the board in the first picture) is of celebrities. These artists are called K-POP which means Korean Pop. Imagine, Backstreet Boys in the 2000's. The people of Korea LOVE K-POP. Drawings of famous celebrities is highly encouraged and celebrated here. I think that learning to do unique and incredible things has to come from interest, obviously. These kids have that. In having that, they have the ability to do incredible things! The second photo is a photo of what the classroom looks like from the back by the K-POP wall. 




We then headed back to Korea University but I got to snap some photos of the mountains first! 



We ended our day on a walk to get some more Domino's and a couple of Coke Zero's. What a nice night! We actually ran into our good friend, Lyndee who had a Domino's box as well. What can I say? Great minds think alike! 


*Disclaimer: We don't always eat Domino's. It's basically when we can't handle the idea of cafeteria food for the next 10 meals. I love Korean food, but cafeteria food is cafeteria food no matter where you are. Haha! 

I loved today. It helped me realize that there lectures are really preparing us for a great time, and a wonderful life in Korea. I can now say, I cannot wait to get in and meet my students! They will be great! 

That's all for today! Sorry for the long post, it was just such a nice day here in South Korea! 



Kiyana In Korea









1 comment: