Sunday, February 10, 2013

I Don't Know About You, But I am Feeling 22... 

Hello, Hello from the New Year! Korean Lunar New Year, that is! Today is a National Holiday in South Korea, the beginning of the Lunar New Year. That officially makes me 22 years old! It's insane how last week, I was a 20 year old from the good ol' United States and now I am a 22 year old girl living in Korea. I am as old as KiertyCat! 

If you don't know much about Korean culture, Lunar New Year is simply a traditional holiday that begins the new Lunar Calender in Korea. I don't really know what that means here, but I know it's a big deal because so many things were shut down today. There were a few TaLK Scholars who went out into bigger cities (Seoul, Busan, Daejon) but we all had so much work to catch up on, my friends and I decided to celebrate last night with BBQ and relax today. What a nice day it was! 

I started my day off right with Skyping some sweet family back home! So nice to see them! We then went to the cafeteria where we were able to eat traditional New Lunar Year soup! (Much like the Black Eyed Pea on New Year's in the U.S., the soup is to bring good luck and happiness in the next year!) 



We then headed to our destination for the rest of the day, the basement! Haha. Here at Korea University, wifi isn't accessible from our rooms. We just use an ethernet cord. However, if you go down to the basement there are TV's, computers, couches, and all the wifi you can get your hands on. We literally sat down in the basement and ate candy for six hours. Some might call it lazy. I call it heaven after such a long week! Plus, I caught myself up on homework, we were just being responsible students for sure. 

But of course, on our walk to the dorm it began to lightly snow! Such a beautiful way to start the New Year! 

Today was such a nice reminder of the way I think we should spend the holidays. Sometimes, you don't need the hustle and bustle of a busy holiday. Sometimes, you just need a nice day with the ones you love to spend time with! I had that today, and I couldn't have asked for a better Sunday with some wonderful friends. 

This 22 year old has a busy day tomorrow! More lectures! YES! Haha, Goodnight to all! 

Happy New Year! 

Kiyana In Korea



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kiyana,

    Yes its like our new year's , but they do it a bit different that soup you ate is seaweed soup and its very good. I love it , my sister and I would seathat seaweed all by iut self too . The other way is to get some rice and Kimhee and roll it up in the seaweed like sushi, its a good snack . Now back to the New Year its a time of year that they hold very near and dear to there hearts , they also give presents of wons to the family at a big dinner , with all the fixing, plus the little rice and bean cakes. Its like a thnaksgiving dinner to us . I love that paper doll its beautiful and can i have one too ? Can your friend make me a picture too ? i loved seeing those thing being made , You might get one of those dresses made for you before you get back home to have , its the very tradtional to have one . They have Jade rings they wear also , I think there not very expensive , but they come in different colors and are the real deal not like here , you dont pay out the teeth like here . Im glad you are having fun talk to you again soon . aggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for the spelling Kiyana ...lol

    ReplyDelete